There’s a good reason why the catchy Mazda theme song you hear on our TV commercials is “Safe and Sound” from the band, Capital Cities. When it comes to your family’s safety, we’re proud to sell some of the safest and most reliable vehicles you’ll find anywhere.
According to the State of Ohio, motor vehicle traffic accidents remain the leading cause of death for Ohio children ages 4 to 7 years. That’s why we’re sharing some important information about how you can make sure your most precious cargo – your children – are, as the song says, “safe and sound” in your new or certified pre-owned Mazda or VW from your friends at Eastside Mazda VW.
The Ohio Department of Health states that children are required to use belt-positioning booster seats once they outgrow their child safety seats until they are 8 years old. The law also requires that:
- Children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.
- Children ages 8-15 must use a child safety seat or safety belt.
Because seat belts are designed for adults, booster seats raise your child up so the shoulder belt fits correctly. Fines from not using proper child safety equipment range from $25 to $75 per occurrence, while a booster seat can be purchased for as little as $15.
According to the “Boost Ohio’s Kids” program, here are “Four Steps to Safety” you should follow to make sure your child is always riding “safe and sound” in your Mazda or VW:
- Use a rear-facing car seat in the back seat for infants and toddlers up to 2 years old. Make sure the seat is securely fastened by a seat belt following manufacturer’s recommendations.
- After they outgrow their rear-facing seat, protect your children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds with a properly secured, forward-facing car seat placed in the back seat of your vehicle.
- Use a booster seat in the back seat for children up to age 8. They can use a seat belt when the lap belt lies across the upper thighs and the shoulder belt fits across the chest (usually between the ages of 8 and 12).
- Children using a regular adult seat belt are required to ride in the back seat until the age of 13. Of course, no matter what the age, always use a seat belt for all passengers!
Download a free and informative child car safety brochure from Boost Ohio’s Kids here.
Whether it’s in a Mazda3, Mazda CX-5 Touring, Mazda CX-9, Mazda6 Sport, or our outstanding inventory of new or pre-owned VW vehicles – including the Passat, Tiguan, Jetta, and Touareg models – we wish you and your family “safe and happy motoring” from all of your friends at Eastside Mazda. We proudly serve Cleveland, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, and the surrounding cities.